As a society, we are busier than ever before. We’ve taken the idea of staying busy and pushed it over the top. We’re burning the candle at both ends and, as a result, we’re completely burning out. Even worse, burnout is bringing big consequences.
With such big consequences, why is burnout still commonly ignored or overlooked? We still treat it as an imaginary illness. Perhaps it’s that we still don’t really understand it, or we don’t know how to avoid it or properly treat it.
Burnout can be triggered by a wide variety of things. A few of the most common triggers include:
- Back-to-school – The season of backpacks and homework and activities is upon us. Without proper management skills, we’ll all be burning by the end.
- Holidays – We love the holidays, but there’s no denying the stress that comes with them.
- Family – Family is life’s greatest blessing and life’s greatest burden. The trick is finding the happy medium.
- Work – Employment of any kind is both necessary and overwhelming. But with the end of the year coming at us hot and heavy, the stress is really building.
The signs of burnout are tricky. Many of them mimic other conditions, or they may seem like the consequences of a busy life. But it’s important to pay attention. Some of the early warning signs of potential burnout include:
- Exhaustion – You’re not just tired; you’re weary. You’re fatigued in your bones. If your exhaustion is excessive and growing, you may have a problem.
- Detachment – This may manifest as apathy. It might be a complete inability to focus on the task in front of you. If detachment starts to creep in, you’ll notice. And if you notice, action should be at the forefront of your mind.
- Illness – Burnout physically drags us down. If the potential for burnout is growing, your immune system may suffer and frequent illness may rear its ugly head.
DEALING WITH BURNOUT IS MOSTLY ABOUT PREVENTION. ONCE YOU CAN RECOGNIZE THE SIGNS, YOU HAVE TO TAKE ACTION. HERE ARE SOME TIPS:
- Reduce – Most burnout is caused by doing too much in too little time. Reduce as many stressors from your life as possible. Extra activities, voluntary overtime hours, and any non-necessity items are all on the chopping block.
- Rest – The power of rest cannot be overstated. Rest is crucial. It’s absolutely essential to beating burnout and restoring health.
- Refocus – Your time is valuable, and it’s time to treat it that way. Refocus your energy and time on the things that matter, and let other things go. Release yourself from the stress of getting everything done right now.
Burnout is real. It’s a growing problem that needs effective solutions. Get on top of your mental and physical health right now, and keep the fire blazing through the end of the year.
Dr. Brian Augustine of Augustine Chiropractic
in Wesley Chapel, FL, has over 31 years of experience treating patients for their neck pain and other ailments through personalized chiropractic care treatments. The locally owned and operated chiropractic clinic offers both in-office treatments and at-home therapy regimens to help people recover and heal from auto injuries and other conditions. The staff is dedicated to providing alternative and therapeutic solutions for better overall health. Give them a call today at (813) 994-6008 to schedule an appointment or visit their website
to learn more about their services!